Hearing loss is crucial and its protection is something that may or may not be in your hands. The lifestyle you live and the exposure, you get from the outside matter a lot when it comes to protecting your hearing. Well, we’re here for you. We have mentioned below the tips to protect your hearing from loud noises and medical ailments. And a lot more!! Just know that these tips to protect your hearing help you live a better life that is fuller and happier.
In this blog, we will talk about the ways to protect your hearing. Furthermore, these tips to protect your hearing are also for those who have no hearing issues and also with minor hearing problems.
Hearing Damage – What does it mean for you?
Hearing loss affects your capacity to hear sounds around you. This may involve having trouble hearing speech or specific noises in your environment. Numerous causes, including aging and other conditions, that you cannot control can lead to hearing impairment. However, chronic exposure to loud noises is one of the main factors in hearing loss or impairment. Hearing problems can result from excessive TV volume; hours spent listening to loud music on earbuds, and other behaviors that make the environment noisier.
Tips to Protect Your Hearing
1. Do not increase the volume
Being present nearby and playing loud sounds might hurt your hearing, especially if you’re wearing headphones that are right next to your eardrum. Turn the level down while watching TV or listening to music in your house or car, and think about using over-the-ear earbuds rather than little headphones, which put more space between your eardrums and noise from devices.
2. Your ears also deserve a break – just like your eyes
You know that feeling when your eyes go all red and drowsy when you cannot keep on watching the television or a screen, right? Just that way, your ears also need the rest to be able to work well.
3. Use Earplugs while working
Have you ever thought that the most common job problem is hearing loss? If you function in a noisy environment, you should invest in some comfortable earplugs. For protecting hearing and lowering the possibility of hearing loss, put earplugs in when you are around loud noises.
4. Schedule regular ear checkups
Even though it is more regular in youngsters, ear diseases happen in adults as well. The probability of fostering a loss of hearing grows with the recurrence of your disease. Furthermore, the more it is left untreated, the more problems it will cause. Counsel a hearing instrument specialist or audiologist immediately for treatment if you suspect you have an ear disease.
5. Q-Tip or Cotton Swabs are harmful to your hearing health
It is understood that ears get dirty and that constant urge to clean them makes you reach out for the cotton swab. However, what you’re doing here is pushing the dirt accumulated in your ear even deeper rather than bringing it out. Moreover, there are chances of you hurting your eardrum using the pointy tool. Thus, stop doing it right away.
6. Keep your ears dry and clean
Swimming and washing can bring about water entering your ear channel, which can be dangerous for your hearing and ear well-being if the water contains bacteria or sits in your ear trench for a while. Slant your head to the side after washing or swimming to assist the overabundance of water with depleting out of your ears or choose a soft cloth to absorb the surplus of water in your ears.
7. Your prescriptions play an important role in your hearing loss
One of the most important causes of hearing loss is your medication. Well, not all medicines lead to hearing loss but then there are the ones that do. Ototoxicity is hearing loss that is caused by certain medicines that you take for a longer stretch. Thus, you need to take medicines carefully to protect your hearing.
8. Employ the 60/60 Rule
The 60/60 rule is a very clear way of saying that you need to keep the loudness in limit for a limited period. Furthermore, 60/60 here means listening to music at 60% max loudness for 60 minutes. Once 60 minutes get over, it is time for you to give your ears some rest. This is one of the most functional tips to protect your hearing.
9. Quit smoking
Smoking certainly is something that many young adults look up to as a part of being fashionable. Furthermore, then they get habitual and cannot (even if they want to) quit smoking. However, smoking kills and is certainly a really bad habit that adversely affects your hearing. If you want to know the tips to protect your hearing, this has to be an integral one.
10. Have a healthy lifestyle
Maintaining an active lifestyle is a plus for practical ailments. One of them is a great tip to protect your hearing. Work out, meditate, jog, walk, do yoga, or do anything that lets you move around physically and give your mind relaxation as well. Keep your blood sugar levels and blood pressure levels in check with a healthy lifestyle and you can easily protect your hearing.
How to Treat your Hearing Loss?
- The very first thing you need to do is get your hearing test done. You can choose to opt for a free online hearing test. Just make sure it is a valid one that about takes about 5 minutes to give an accurate result. You can choose to conduct it here: https://www.shoeboxonline.com/tricountyhearing/?
- Once the hearing test results come in, book an appointment with a professional hearing instrument specialist or audiologist. You can get a consultation done to be sure of your hearing health. The expert will be able to guide you on what you should do and what you shouldn’t keep your hearing protected.
- In case, the professional asks you to get a hearing aid, you can choose to look up online and find a suitable option from brands like Widex, Signia, Phonak, or others depending on your hearing issue.
- Make sure to continue getting your hearing checked up and your hearing aids cleaned. This will not let your hearing health worsen and keep your hearing aids from damage.
You can cause a lot of damage to your hearing if you don’t pay attention in due time. You can always understand the myths and facts of hearing loss before getting into anything. Buy Hearing Aid has an enormous collection of branded hearing aids. You can simply take our free hearing test online or submit your hearing test report to understand your hearing evaluation.